Alabama will hold its ninth annual Severe Weather Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday, beginning Friday, February 21st through Sunday, February 23rd. The Severe Weather Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday allows shoppers to stock up, tax-free, on items needed to prepare for a weather emergency or natural disaster.
During the weekend-long sales tax holiday, Alabama’s 4% state sales tax does not apply to common weather-related supplies costing less than $60 as well as generators costing $1,000 or less, according to alabamaretail.org. View the full list of covered items here.
The National Weather Service recommends building a kit. Below is a few of the recommended items to include in a basic preparedness kit.
- Backpack or storage tub to hold your supplies
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- First Aid Supplies
- Disinfectant wipes
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Battery-powered radio and a NOAA Weather radio
- Plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
- Fire Extinguisher
- Cards or game (it is important to have something to do to take your mind off the situation for a few moments or alleviate stress if you will be in your shelter for an extended time)
Don't miss this great opportunity to purchase any items you may be missing from your emergency kit. To see if your county participates visit revenue.alabama.
For more information contact Murry Guy, CPA at (334) 887-7022 or by leaving us a message below.